Monday, September 05, 2005

Finds

Andrew Richardson, FLO, had collected my disclaimed gold ring from the BM and from the report he emailed me it turns out it is a mourning or memorial ring, not a betrothal ring as I thought.

Kent: gold memorial ring (2004 T428)
Date: dated 1679; Finder: D. Villanueva; Date of discovery: 31 October 2004. Circumstances of discovery: While searching with a metal detector. Description: Gold ring, badly scratched, dented and bent out of shape, the exterior apart form an engraved skull, the interior inscribed in lower case: Prepare to follow WR (some letters unclear). There is also an illegible mark, possibly a maker’s mark, in a rectangular shield. Note: This is a standard type of memorial ring of the 17th century. The inscription is usually ‘Prepared be to follow me’ as on two memorial rings for Charles I in the BM (Dalton 1362 and 1362), on Dalton 1283: ‘Prepared be to follow me RO’., and in shortened form on a ring of the same date, Dalton 1468: ‘Bee prepared MB July 79’. The BM would not be interested in this find.J. Rudoe 12.2.05

Now I know they say you shouldn't restore these objects but I will get my local jeweller to put it back into ring shape. I don't really buy being mangled by the plough as part of its history.

I have managed a few finds last week. The field where I previously found gold staters has turned out to be almost barren, I've spent two afternoons on there and found little more than a 19th century horse harness buckle. Must have done a really good job on it last time around. I then had to run the gauntlet with the muckspreader but did manage an Urbs Roma commemorative AE3 c.350 (the one with the wolf and twins design), a plain but complete watch key and a small post medieval belt decoration. Another day on another field got me a small crotal bell, complete and still ringing and to round off the week a field I hadn't bothered with too much in the past produced a really nice 1oz London trade weight 1760-1826 and a 1350-1500 sword belt hanger buckle.

2 Comments:

Blogger melloman said...

Solid Silver Wallet Pen
This fine specimen could make a great gift for retro users. Designed to fit into the fold of most men's wallets, the Wallet Pen is handmade of solid sterling silver and features a standard mini ballpoint ...
Hi, I was just checking out blogs and surfing through some and found you! I like your blog. I will book mark it and come back soon. If you are interested, go see my unique gift ideas related site. It isnt anything special but you may still find something of interest.unique gift ideas

4:10 PM  
Blogger Home Site said...

RSS Feeds, Secured For Enterprise
Load user-defined Excel templates, containing formatted sheets and charts, with data from any database.
Interesting blog you have - good work Play play video poker the most popularity game anywhere

4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home